We have had Grid Layout in browsers for two years. Long enough for us to start to find the edges, and discover things we really wish it could do. The biggest missing feature from Level 1 was subgrid, which has become the main feature for Level 2 of the specification. In this talk I’ll introduce subgrid, with use cases, example code and some thoughts on where we might see Grid going in the future.
The following resources were mentioned during the presentation or are useful additional information.
- Grid Level 2 Specification
- CSS Grid Level 2: Here Comes Subgrid
- Grid by Example
- MDN Guide to subgrid
- Digging Into The Display Property: Box Generation
- More accessible markup with display contents
- Chrome Bug: Implement subgrid
- Firefox Bug: Implement layout support for subgrid
- Edge UserVoice: Implement subgrid
- Chrome Status Stats
Slides and code examples can be found in the source link.